Banitsa is one of the most popular Bulgarian dishes. It is made with homemade or commercially made phyllo pastry sheets and various fillings. It is a typical breakfast or a part of the menu for several occasions. The classic banitsa is a savory pie with a filling based on feta cheese, eggs and yogurt. It can be served as a breakfast, an appetizer or a single dish.
The sweet version is banitsa with pumpkin, known as tikvenik.
- 300 g phyllo pastry
- 200 g feta cheese
- 3 eggs
- 100 ml yogurt
- 70 ml sunflower oil
- 20 g butter
- In a bowl, beat the eggs and then add the yoghurt. Mix it.
- In another bowl, mash the feta cheese with a fork and add it to the other mixture. Mix everything.
- Grease a 28 cm diameter round baking tray. Spread the phyllo pastry on the table, brush with oil and sprinkle with some of the cheese mixture. Roll up by taking two sheets together to make a roll. Place the roll in the tray center, making a spiral. Put the next rolls, filled in the same way around the first one.
- Cut the butter into pieces and sprinkle it on top.
- Bake it in a preheated oven at 200° for about 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve the banitsa hot or cold.