Gnocchi – how to make homemade gnocchi? Traditional recipe for delicious potato gnocchi, part of Italian cuisine.
Gnocchi are one of the most famous dishes of Italian cuisine, prepared in all regions of Italy. There are different variations for the preparation of gnocchi: with wheat flour, rice, semolina, potatoes, corn flour or pumpkin.
The most popular are potato gnocchi – small potato balls, prepared with boiled potatoes, flour and egg (there is an option without an egg).
The potato gnocchi are cooked for a few minutes in a boiling water. They go perfectly with different types of sauces. Some of the sauces are tomatoes and basil, butter and sage, basil pesto and parmesan or ragù sauce.
- 500 g potatoes
- 150 g flour
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch salt
- Wash the potatoes and cook them whole with the skin in a saucepan with salted water. Cooking times can vary between 25-45 minutes depending on the size of the potatoes.
- When the potatoes are cooked, drain and let them cool just enough that you can handle them. Peel while they are still hot and immediately after pass them through a potato ricer. Then let them cool.
- Pour the flour onto a work surface. Add the potatoes and incorporate.
- Add the egg and salt. Mix all the ingredients and knead everything with your hands until a soft and smooth dough is obtained. Don’t overmix it.
- Divide the dough into pieces. With the palms of both hands, roll the dough piece on the floured surface into a rope about 2 cm in diameter. Cut the rolls into small pieces.
- Passing them between the fingers, give an oval shape. Pass each piece of dough on a floured gnocchi maker board, applying light pressure with the thumb to obtain the classic shape. You can also use a floured fork, dragging the gnocchi on the prongs.
- Arrange the gnocchi on a floured tray, spaced from each other.
- Cook the gnocchi immediately or freeze them. In a saucepan, boil plenty of water and then add salt. Cook the gnocchi for 1-2 minutes a little at a time and leave them until they rise to the surface. Then drain and season them with sauce to taste.