Tarator – a classic recipe for a fresh and delicious summer dish.
Tarator is a cold cucumber yogurt-based soup that is a part of traditional Bulgarian cuisine. Similar dishes are present in the cuisines of other Balkan and Middle Eastern countries. In addition to being very tasty and refreshing, it is also extremely healthy.
The tarator goes very well with traditional Bulgarian moussaka.
- 1 cucumber (about 300 g)
- 400 ml yogurt
- 300 ml water
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil (or sunflower oil)
- 5 g dill
- q.s. salt
- 20 g walnuts (chopped)
- Wash and peel the cucumber then cut it into small cubes. Put it in a large bowl.
- Add the salt, the minced garlic, the chopped dill and the oil. Mix it.
- Whisk the yoghurt well and after that combine it with the water. Add the mixture to the bowl. Mix it.
- Serve the tarator cold, sprinkled with crushed walnuts.