The banitsa is one of the most famous dishes of Bulgarian national cuisine. It is made of phyllo pastry and various fillings. It is a typical breakfast or part of the menu for several occasions. The sweet version made with pumpkin, walnuts and cinnamon, also called tikvenik, is a delicious dessert that is preferred both on weekdays and holidays.
Tikvenik (Banitsa with pumpkin)
- 1 package phyllo pastry (300 g)
- 500 g pumpkin (without seeds and rind)
- 100 g butter
- 100 g walnuts (chopped )
- 100 g sugar
- 5 g cinnamon
- 20 ml sunflower oil
- q.s. powder sugar (optional)
- Grate the pumpkin.
- In a pan, melt the butter, add the grated pumpkin and cook it until the pumpkin is soft (for about 5-10 minutes).
- In a separate bowl, mix the finely chopped walnuts, the sugar and the cinnamon.
- Place the phyllo sheets on the table, spread a little oil on every two sheets. Add some of the pumpkin filling and sprinkle some of the mix of walnuts, sugar and cinnamon. Roll up by taking two sheets together to make a roll. Place it in a pre-oiled baking tray. Continue in this manner with all the phyllo dough sheets.
- Bake it in a preheated oven at 180° for about 25-30 minutes.
- Before serving, sprinkle some powdered sugar (optional).